Unsurprisingly, there is a big emphasis on environment and preservation at Totnes Rare Breeds. Our aim is to enlighten visitors on the preservation of rare domestic breeds and British wildlife. One of the more recent schemes is a Community Nature Reserve, in conjunction with Network Rail. In addition, with the help of our visitors we are:
- Working to reduce waste, recycling and re-using wherever possible.
- Reducing electricity consumption.
- Collecting rainwater, which we use to fill our ponds and in the animals' drinkers.
- Using sustainably sourced wood in all our building and paper in our brochures.
- Offering local produce in the Garden Café where possible.
- Encouraging people to get to us by foot, bike or public transport. See our Getting Here page for more information.